Like all medicines, Gabapentin (Neurontin) can cause side effects, but they do not occur in every patient. If you notice any of the following Gabapentin side effects, you should immediately contact your doctor, as the consequences can be severe.
Common side effects of taking Gabapentin
- Severe skin reactions that require immediate relief, swelling of the lips and face, skin rash and redness and/or hair loss (these conditions can be symptoms of severe allergic reactions);
- Constant pain in the stomach, nausea, vomiting (symptoms of acute pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas);
- Severe allergic reactions, which can affect your skin or various organs, such as the liver or blood cells.
In some cases, hospitalization or drug cancellation may be required. Call your doctor immediately if you have the following Neurontin side effects:
- skin rash;
- swelling of the glands;
- swelling of the lips and tongue;
- yellow skin;
- severe fatigue or weakness;
- sudden muscle pain;
- frequent infections.
These symptoms may be the first signs of a serious allergic reaction. The doctor should conduct an examination and decide whether to continue using Gabapentin (Neurontin) or stop taking the medication. If you are on hemodialysis, tell your doctor if you have muscle pain and/or weakness.
Other Gabapentin 300 side effects
Frequent side effects of Gabapentin 300mg
- Viral infections
- Drowsiness, dizziness, lack of coordination
- Feeling tired, fever
- Pneumonia, respiratory tract infections, gabapentin urinary side effects such as urinary tract infections, ear inflammation or other infections
- Leukopenia (decrease in the number of leukocytes)
- Anorexia, increased appetite
- Irritability, confusion, mood swings, depression, anxiety, nervousness, problems with thinking
- Convulsions, convulsive movements, difficulty speaking, memory loss, tremor, sleep problems, headache, changes in skin sensitivity, decreased sensitivity (numbness), coordination problems, unusual eye movement, increased, decreased reflexes or lack of reflexes
- Blurred vision, double vision
- High blood pressure, blood flow to the face or dilated blood vessels
- Difficulty breathing, bronchitis, sore throat, cough, dryness in the nose
- Vomiting, nausea, dental problems, gum disease, diarrhea, stomach pain, indigestion, constipation, dry mouth or throat, flatulence
- Swelling of the face, bruises, rashes, itching, acne
- Joint pain, muscle pain, back pain, twitching
- Problems with erection (impotence)
- Swelling of the lower and upper extremities, difficulty walking, weakness, pain, poor health, cold symptoms
- Decreased leukocyte count, weight gain
- Pathological damage, bone fracture, abrasion
- In addition, when conducting clinical studies in children, aggressive behavior and convulsive movements were identified.
Infrequent Gabapentin oral side effects
- Allergic reactions, such as urticaria;
- Stiffness of movements;
- Swelling of the face and extremities;
- Deterioration of blood test results, possibly due to liver problems;
- Decreased mental activity;
- General attenuation;
- Increase in blood glucose (most often observed in patients with diabetes mellitus).
Rare Gabapentin 300 mg capsule side effects
- Loss of consciousness;
- Reduced blood glucose (most often observed in patients with diabetes mellitus).
In post-marketing studies of gabapentin, the following Gabapentin side effects in adults were detected:
- Thrombocytopenia (decrease in the number of platelets-blood cells responsible for clotting)
- Problems with movements, convulsive twitching
- A group of long-term side effects of gabapentin such as swollen lymph nodes, fever, rash and liver inflammation
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice), inflammation of the liver
- Acute renal failure, incontinence
- Breast tissue enlargement, breast enlargement
- Side effects of stopping gabapentin (anxiety, sleep disturbance, nausea, pain, sweating), chest pain,
- Destruction of muscle fibers (rhabdomyolysis)
- Deterioration of blood test results (elevated creatine phosphokinase)
- Sexual dysfunction, ejaculation delay
- Reduced level of sodium in the blood.
Immediately contact your doctor if you notice any serious side effects of Gabapentin since they can have serious consequences. Discuss further Gabapentin uses and alternative treatment options.