Lamictal and other preparations of the lamotrigine group are recommended to be taken orally, with water, without chewing. Below you can read the guidelines on Lamictal dosages.
Lamictal dosage for epileptic disorders as a monotherapy
For patients over the age of 12 years:
- The initial Lamictal dosage is about 25 mg per day for 14 days;
- After that, the dosage is increased up to 50 mg for other two weeks;
- In the subsequent period, every 7-14 days the dose should be increased to 50-100 mg. The dose is increased until the condition improves.
Lamictal dosage for patients aged 3 to 12 years:
- If patients have symptoms of a typical absence, then the initial dosage of the drug with the active substance lamotrigine should be about 0.3 mg/kg, it should be taken in one or several receptions for about 2 weeks;
- Then the dosage is increased by another 0.3 mg per kilo for 2 weeks;
- In the subsequent period, every 7-14 days the dosage is increased but not more than 0.6 mg per kilo. This lamotrigine dosage is taken until to a positive effect of treatment is reached.
Lamictal dosage in combination therapy
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is often used as part of complex therapy.
Lamictal dosage for patients over 12 years of age:
- In the initial therapy of epileptics using valproic acid, the initial dosage of the drug with the active substance lamotrigine should not be more than 25 mg taken every 24 hours. At the very beginning of therapy, the drug is taken every 24 hours for two weeks;
- Then the drug is taken in the same dosage, but only every day for 14 days. Further, every 7-14 days, the dosage of the drug is increased to 25-50 mg to a suitable effective dosage;
- Patients who undergo additional therapeutic treatment of PEP or other drugs, drugs with the active component lamotrigine (Lamictal) should be used at the initial dosage of 50 mg for 14 days. Further, the dosage is increased to 100 mg and divided into 2 doses per day for 2 weeks. After 7-14 days, the dosage can be increased by 100 mg.
Lamictal dosage for patients aged 3 to 12 years old:
- Children who receive drugs with valproic acid together with other PET or without them, drugs with the active ingredient lamotrigine are taken at the initial dosage of 0.15 mg/kg for 14 days;
- Then the dose is increased by 0.3 mg per kilo per day for 14 days. Then the dose is increased to 0.3 mg/kg for 7-14 days. The final dosage should not exceed 200 mg.
Lamictal in the therapy for bipolar disorders
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is prescribed to patients from the age of 18 for the treatment of bipolar disorders.
- Patients who are already using drugs with valproic acid, the initial dosage of Lamictal makes 25 mg per day;
- This dose should be taken every 2 days for 2 weeks. Then the same dosage should be taken every day for 2 weeks;
- Then, the dosage is increased to 50 mg, it can be taken in one dosage and divided into 2 dosages. Then you can increase the dosage to 100 mg per day.
Lamictal excess dosages can cause dizziness, nausea, visual disturbances, impaired coordination, lack of consciousness.
Symptoms of overdose are eliminated through the use of detoxification measures, including gastric lavage.