Several groups of drugs are used, because of the absence of universal medication capable to treat a migraine. As a result, each patient needs an individual selection of the drug, its dose, the duration of the preventive course.
The following drugs can be applied for migraine treatment and prevention:
- vasoactive drugs (calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers);
- serotonin receptor antagonists (preparations containing ergot derivatives – Vasobral, Bellataminal, Coffetamin, Sandomigran);
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs);
- antidepressants (Amitriptyline, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors);
- anticonvulsants migraine medications (Topiramate (Topamax), Gabapentin, Carbamazepine, Clonazepam, Valproate).
In the absence of the desired therapeutic effect, the use of a combination of drugs is indicated. Medical scientists recommend following such a scheme:
- antidepressants + vasoactive drugs;
- antidepressants + preparations with valproic acid.
Characteristics of Migraine Medications Including Topiramate (Topamax)
Amitriptyline belongs to the group of antidepressants. For the prevention of migraine attacks, this drug provides the central analgesic effect (that is, anesthesia at the level of the receptor pain of the brain) and the normalizing effect on the exchange of serotonin in the central nervous system. Perhaps, in some cases, improvement is marked by the elimination of Amitriptyline by the sluggish current patient’s depression. Amitriptyline should not be taken by individuals who are not able to give up alcohol – the effect can be fatal! Most patients note the positive effect of Amitriptyline (in the sense of a significant reduction in migraine attacks), but side effects are a frequent notion.
Vasobral is a very benevolent drug. This medication for a migraine has the following distinctive features:
- extremely rare manifestations of unpleasant side effects which were also not severe and eliminated on their own;
- high compatibility of Vasobral with other drugs taken by the patient;
- And, most importantly, Vasobral possesses a high prophylactic activity against migraines. Already a month after the beginning of this drug intake, the majority noted positive dynamics. Especially effective was the treatment of young patients (due to a shorter period of disease and severity of seizures);
- It significantly improves overall health, increases efficiency.
Migraine Medication Topamax (Topiramate)?
Topamax is an antiepileptic agent. How does Topamax relate for migraines treatment and prevention?
The practicability of using anticonvulsants (antiepileptic drugs) in the migraine prevention is considered in view of their ability to reduce the increased excitability of brain neurons. The effect of Topiramate migraine prevention is based on its effect on the ion channels of nerve cells and biochemical correction of neuronal excitability, as well as direct exposure to a painful receptor of brain systems. Thanks to this, Topiramate (Topamax) eliminates the prerequisites for the development of migraine attack. But the dosage and rules of administration should be controlled not to provoke severe side effects of Topamax.
Topiramate (Topamax) is indicated for patients with:
- frequent and severe migraine attacks, resistant to other types of treatment;
- chronic migraine;
- chronic tension headaches.
Currently, Topiramate and Topamax are the most promising migraine prevention according to data from multicenter studies.
So, do not be frightened by the pharmacological group of the drug: if the doctor prescribes Topiramate (Topamax), then this is considered pathogenetically justified.